CNC Sliding Head Machining
Oracle Precision have invested in sliding head machine technology for the precise and reliable machining of quality-critical parts, using machines perfectly in line with our commitments to rigorous quality management and compliance to industry regulations. Sliding head lathes are highly accurate and consistent multi-axis CNC machines capable of simultaneously processing turned parts. These machines provide a single setup solution for many complex parts turning processes, reducing production times and machining costs for the benefit of our clients.
We use a Star sliding head lathe machine (the SR-32JII Type B) to deliver precision CNC machining of parts for industries as diverse as the aerospace, medical, ministry of defence, and marine sectors. Star machines are renowned for their production efficiency and stable cutting capability, often finishing parts in one setup with highly accurate and repeatable sliding head machining processes.
Star SR-32JII Type B Sliding Head Machine
The Star SR-32JII Type B is a Swiss type automatic sliding head lathe that has improved upon the accuracy, rigidity, and productivity of the popular Star SR-32J model. This 8-axis machine has a standard machining diameter of 32mm with up to 35mm possible. The main spindle can reach up to 8,000 RPM with 11.0 KW of power and 320mm of headstock stroke in Swiss mode for revolving part support. An increased number of tools allow Oracle Precision to achieve up to 39 machining positions, while the 8-spindle back working unit with Y2 axis increases overlapping opportunities for reduced cycle times.
The SR-32JII Type B boasts a modular design for increased flexibility, allowing our precision engineering team to develop many optimal machine configurations for our range of clients. One aspect of increased flexibility in this sliding head lathe’s design is the ability to deftly switch between guide bush and non-guide bush modes with a rapid changeover mechanism. Rigidity has also been vastly improved; the lathe’s Y-axis slideway incorporates a slanted dovetail structure, plus the X and Y-axis slideways are both positioned close to the cutting point for increased stability and precision.
This sliding head machine has been a fantastic addition to our ever-growing list of precision engineering capabilities, allowing us to further increase the accuracy and reliability of our parts machining output for the quality-critical industries with which we work.
The Benefits of CNC Sliding Head Lathe Machining
- Multi-process capabilities: the complex CNC machining tasks a sliding head lathe can perform include turning, milling, drilling, boring, grooving, cross drilling, and screw-cutting.
- Reduced production times: by providing a rear spindle as well as a main spindle, sliding head lathe machines enable secondary processes to drastically reduce cycle times, often to half the time of a traditional fixed head machine.
- Lower production costs: the production efficiency of the sliding head machine effectively doubles the output of parts machining, resulting in significant savings for our clients.
- Non-stop production: Star sliding head machines have been designed to be able to run unmanned over long periods, enabling Oracle Precision to machine parts 24/7 when appropriate. The magazine bar loaders CNC sliding head lathes are equipped with permit non-stop processing.
- No compromise on quality: using a sliding head lathe is not a question of quantity over quality; these impressive machines turn complex and delicate parts with precision and improved surface finishes to exact specifications, whether you require small, medium, or large production runs.
To find out more about our sliding head machine’s capabilities and applications, you can contact Oracle Precision via email or phone.